his recipe originally included parmesan cheese and poppy seeds, but meh. If I'm avoiding cheese, I'll avoid all cheese (well, except Feta). I love this chicken salad. I'm not much of a meat salad person but when I know what goes in it, I'm much more open to trying it. Love it, love it, love it. Simple, slightly sweet, crunchy, and healthy out the wazoo. Someday I'll branch out and swap the cranberries for apples or grapes, but I like it as is for now.
- 3 1/2 cups cooked, shredded chicken (about 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast halves)
- 1 cup diced celery (about 3 stalks)
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, roughly chopped
- Sliced bread, for serving
- 2/3 cup Veganaise, Earth Balance, or similar
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Add chicken breasts, chicken broth, and any added veggies (like carrots and celery) to covered pan, bring to boil, reduce to simmer and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, covered. Chop or shred chicken and let cool.
- In a large mixing bowl toss together shredded chicken, celery, pecans, and dried cranberries, set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl whisk together all ingredients listed for the dressing until well blended.
- Pour dressing mixture over chicken mixture and toss to evenly coat. Serve over sliced bread, croissants or rolls. Store in refrigerator.